About CO Poisoning
Signs of CO Poisoning
- CO alarm or detector going off.
- History of CO exposure.
- No fever associated with symptoms.
- Multiple people with similar symptoms in the same household, classroom, or workplace.
Symptoms of CO Poisoning
- Loss of muscle control or consciousness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Shortness of breath
Sources of CO
- A running car inside an enclosed space, such as a garage.
- Fuel-burning equipment used indoors (ex. charcoal or hibachi grills).
- Malfunctioning or unvented fuel-burning appliances (ex. furnaces, heaters, ovens, stoves).
CO Poisoning Prevention
- Turn off all your appliances.
- Get everyone to exit the building.
- Get fresh air.
- Call 911 and seek medical help right away.
Home & Buildings Safety Tips
- Ensure that gas appliances are maintained and properly installed.
- Install smoke alarms and CO detectors near each sleeping area.
- CO alarms need to be tested regularly. If the unit is battery operated, replace the battery at least once a year.
- Ensure appliance vents and chimneys are not blocked with tarps, debris, or snowfall.
- Do not heat your home using appliances other than a heater.
- For example, do not use an oven or clothes dryer for heating purposes.
- Exit a building immediately when smoke alarms or CO detectors go off.
- Do not re-enter the building until a professional declares it safe.
Car Safety Tips
- Do not let a car combustion engine run inside an enclosed space, such as a garage.
- Drive out promptly after starting a car inside an enclosed space.
- Turn the engine off as soon as you drive into an enclosed space.
Equipment Safety Tips
- Do not cover the bottom of natural gas or propane ovens with aluminum foil. Doing so blocks the combustion air flow through the appliance and can result in carbon monoxide exposure.
- Do not operate portable generators near your home or outside of an open window.
- Do not use charcoal or hibachi grills indoors, as they are for outdoor use.
- Do not use portable fuel-burning camping equipment inside a home, garage, vehicle, or tent.